Household Hazardous Materials Retailer Permit

If your facility sells any household hazardous material, in any amount, it must obtain a Household Hazardous Material (HHM) permit and participate in a consumer education program. Informing consumers of the characteristics of and proper disposal methods for household hazardous materials increases the likelihood that these products will be used and disposed of properly.

Household hazardous materials include any brand, grade or volume of the following products.

  • Motor oils and motor oil additives, such as transmission fluid, engine lubricants
  • Motor oil filters
  • Gasoline and diesel fuel additives
  • Degreasers
  • Waxes and polishes (excluding nail polish) such as car and floor wax, furniture and shoe polish, spray dust cleaners and furniture stains
  • Solvents, such as mineral spirits, turpentine, alcohols (excluding water)
  • Paints (excluding latex-based paints)
  • Lacquers & thinners (excluding water)
  • Caustic household cleaners, such as drain, toilet bowl and oven cleaners, rust remover, silver/chrome cleaner
  • Petroleum-based spot and stain removers
  • Petroleum-based fertilizers
  • Pesticides, such as yard/garden sprays, roach powder, flea/tick products for pets, fly tape, moth balls, fungicide, insecticide, etc.
  • Color cathode ray tubes (CRTs)

Household hazardous materials do not include the following.

  • Laundry detergents
  • Soaps
  • Dishwashing compounds
  • Chlorine bleach
  • Personal care products and soaps
  • Cosmetics
  • Animal or human medications
  • Pharmaceuticals

Clarification for Oil Change Businesses

If your business conducts oil changes, but does not sell motor oil over the counter, you must still obtain a HHM permit if you include the number of quarts of oil used in your bill.  If you bill the service simply as an oil change, you do not need to acquire a HHM permit.

HHM Permit

To obtain an HHM permit, complete the required application form from the Iowa Department of Revenue (link to the right). The annual fee is $25 and renewable annually on July 1.